Tuesday 25 March 2014

Wish-Dish: Pani Puri at Elco Market, Mumbai

Pani Puri is served in every city of India at almost every street corner if I may be allowed to exaggerate. Such is the popularity and reach of this Indian snack. While this dish has a huge fan following across the globe, there is surely some connection between Pani puri and women. I fail to understand the popularity of this dish among women who seem to be more than happy to make a meal out of it at every chance they can. Frankly, once I'm at it, I can't stop eating either.

So when I was in Mumbai recently, I visited this super famous place - It's been around now for decades and isknown as Elco Restaurant is located in Elco Market, Hill Road, Bandra since probably forever. It started off as a cart and is now a full fledged vegetarian restaurant. 

Ask anyone for must visit places in Mumbai and usually the first to get listed is 'Elco Pani Puri'. It seems like in Mumbai, 'Pani Puri' and 'Elco' are synonyms.

So when I was here, I tried the much famed Pani puri and have since been in total awe of it. The restaurant pays high importance not only to the taste and the ingredients but also pays high emphasis to hygiene. 

The puris were really light, thin and crispy.  The filling included potatoes and lentils. Preferences vary and for my way of eating always includes a mix of both the spicy and sweet water (pani) for that perfect blend of tang and sweetness.

In all, a delight to eat.. And easily the best I've ever tasted. 

Price - Rs. 60 per plate
Address - 2/A, Elco Market, 46 Hill Road, Bandra West, Mumbai



No comments:

Post a Comment